Communications Officer – Episcopal News Service
Chapel of the Cross, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
The Chapel of the Cross (COTC) is looking to hire a full-time Communications Officer. The Communications Manager tells the story of La Chapelle de la Croix, identifying and illustrating the connections between COTC’s mission and brand, its stewardship and development goals, liturgy, programming and outreach to help meet mission priorities. This person will work with clergy, lay staff, and the vestry to develop and execute a comprehensive strategic communications plan. This person will also manage and lead day-to-day communications including creative material development, marketing placement, video production, social media and website content management.
A talented generalist who can handle many concurrent projects well and knows when to outsource will thrive in this position. This is a full-time, regular, exempt position reporting to the Rector.
Main objective of the position
Working in conjunction with the rector, associate clergy, church staff, lay leaders, program officers, volunteers, vestry and external consultants, the communications officer develops, coordinates and implements all communications efforts in support of the mission and ministries of the Chapel of the Cross, striving to:
- Create a cohesive and integrated approach to communications.
- Ensure the integrity of the COTC brand and identity across all platforms by developing and maintaining the institutional voice of the parish in all communications.
- Infuse a message of hospitality into communications and interactions.
- Increase the general feeling of connection among parishioners.
- Develop new ways to engage current and potential members of the parish community.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce and edit parish publications (digital and print), including the design and content of: the weekly e-newsletter, social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), Sunday newsletters and announcements, seasonal calendars,
report, special publications and other marketing materials (brochures, posters, leaflets, promotional videos).
- Record audio from church services, edit sermon audio from recordings, and create files for posting to podcasts and the website; archive recordings on the server
- Develop and maintain the institutional voice of the parish in written communications, through writing and editing the work of others.
- Keep the COTC website fresh and updated and ensure it remains integrated with other parish communications and remains inviting. Track and report website data.
- Ensure that services, concerts, programs and other parish events are widely publicized.
- Collaborate with church leaders to strengthen communications for fundraising and stewardship efforts.
- Use social media as a conversation starter and as an expanded outlet for advertising and telling the COTC story.
- Create/edit videos as needed for training and other events, including slides and promotional materials used for video and live streaming
- Produce, schedule and deploy videos for worship services for the live streaming platform, whether recorded live or pre-recorded.
- Perform or oversee event photography and video production, file archiving, website and social media posting
- Operate and maintain audiovisual equipment; constantly looking for ways to streamline, update and make more cost effective; assist the parish administrator in implementing systems to protect equipment and improve the user experience; train others in their use and maintenance.
- Manage, train and assign projects for a digital media ministry intern or church volunteers
- Oversee and manage the church’s communications budget.
- Keep abreast of and pursue new communications and brand advancement opportunities; seek and undergo training to develop skills in communications strategy, stewardship, and development strategy as they relate to communications and electronic media, and church communications
- Demonstrated experience in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing and/or graphic design
- Skills and experience in design, writing, editing, photography, illustration, social media content creation, website maintenance and print production
- Creative eye, proven design and organizational skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-platform environment.
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Office365, WordPress, Mailchimp and other web development and management software, as well as audio/video production and file archiving. Familiarity with Realm/ACS or other CMS platforms preferred but not required.
Preferred, but not required
- University diploma
- An understanding of a church’s ministry, mission, and customs.
- Mature judgment to work with a wide range of constituencies and ability to make decisions while creating a teamwork environment.
- Familiar with or interested in learning about multimedia and live production
Who we are
The Chapel of the Cross is an active community of faith, expressing the full breadth,
the power and beauty of the Anglican tradition through our liturgy and worship. We are
called to equip and inspire parishioners to live their faith by:
- Grow as Christians through education, worship, music and healing compassion
- Create a living embodiment of Christian community with a sense of belonging, brotherhood, support and commitment
- Welcoming all who come to the COTC, encouraging diversity, practicing inclusivity and hospitality
- Sharing our faith, values and voice with the community, university, diocese and beyond and translating them into action
- Support our church by being strong stewards of our staff and personnel, facilities, and financial resources as we grow and change
This is a full-time salaried position, which includes paid time off as well as generous pension and health insurance benefits. The communication manager reports to the rector. The responsibilities and duties set out in this description may be added, deleted or modified by the Rector.
To apply, please send, in one document, a cover letter, resume, and links to a portfolio or samples of your work via email to [email protected] Priority review of applications received before April 8, 2022.