March Board Meeting Recap – Official Arlington County Virginia Government Website
Posted on March 24, 2022
Several actions took place during the regular meeting of the Arlington County Council on Saturday, March 19, 2022, including:
• Council passed a resolution to announce the Planning Commission public hearings on April 4, 2022, and County Council on April 23, 2022, to consider adopting the Clarendon Area Plan 2022 – An Update to the Clarendon Area Plan 2006.
• The Board passed an order approving a rezoning application from Service Commercial-Community Business District to CP FBC Columbia Pike Form Based Code District. It was for The Elliott, located at 2601 Columbia Pike. In addition, Council is requested to approve the use permit in question, in accordance with the code based on the Columbia Pike form, to construct 247 multi-family dwellings and approximately 51,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor with modifications for finished floor elevation. for the ground floor and specifications, subject to conditions.
• Accept and own a $150,398 grant from the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services to manage and improve Arlington’s response to the opioid epidemic. The county plans to fund a peer specialist to provide outreach services to community members who experience an opioid or other substance overdose, as well as provide support for a registered nurse and other operational expenses related to the response to the opioid crisis.
• Accept and appropriate funding from the Virginia Department of Human Services COVID-19 Transportation Assistance Program (TAP) for the Department of Human Services. The $38,575 allocated will help break down barriers to ensure eligible youth in foster care receive the services and supports needed to meet their transportation needs.
• Adoption of a licensing agreement with Virginia Hospital Center to permit the installation, operation and maintenance of a Capital Bikeshare station on hospital property. This bike-share partnership promotes the ideals of “car-free” transportation, healthy living and environmental stewardship.
On Tuesday, March 22, 2022, the county council held its recess meeting. Several actions have been undertaken, including the appointment of the first 9 members of the Community Oversight Board (COB). Information on the COB and its members is available on the Commission’s website.
On Wednesday, March 23, 2022, Council Chair Katie Cristol and Member Libby Garvey will discuss the county’s budget process with County Executive Mark Schwartz. Connect to the Board Wrap-Up podcast via Spotify or Anchor to listen.
Council meetings can be viewed in their entirety on the county’s website and on YouTube. On Thursday, February 17, 2022, Council Chairman Cristol and Council Member Karantonis will record the Council’s new wrap-up podcast, where they will discuss the Pentagon City Sector Plan in more detail. Connect to the podcast on Anchor or Spotify.